How the NMTBHPA Was Formed
In 2020, New Mexico was awarded an 18-month CMS assessment grant to expand the capacity of Substance Abuse Disorder (SUD). The initiative is known as the NM Recovery Project and it called for a statewide needs assessment. A need for a Tribal specific group of behavioral health providers was identified. The NM Recovery Project took the initiative to address the need for a Tribal Behavioral Health Provider’s Association and establish the Association.
Four meetings were held with various tribal key-stakeholders from various tribal communities and the following Core Group:
- Sindy Bolaños-Sacoman, MPH- Director of the New Mexico Recovery Project- a BHSD/NMDHS-MAD
- Teresa Gomez, MA- UNM Division of Community Behavioral Health
- Eldred Lesansee, Policy Analyst, NM Indian Affairs Department
- Jennifer Nanez, MSW, LMSW- Tribal Tech, LLC
The New Mexico Tribal Behavioral Health Provider’s Association held its first meeting on Friday March 19th, 2021 and was received with great excitement by tribal behavioral health providers.
Co-Founders: Jennifer Nanez, Teresa Gomez, Sindy Bolaños-Sacoman
Planning Committee Members: Jennifer Nanez, Teresa Gomez, Sindy Bolaños-Sacoman, Eldred Lesansee
NMTBHPA Director: Sindy Bolaños-Sacoman
Endorsed by Indian Affairs Bureau: Cabinet Secretary Lynn A. Trujillo
- NM Behavioral Health Services Division
- Health Services Division Office of the Secretary
- Medical Assistance Division
- UNM’s Division of Community Behavioral Health